Role: Communications Intern
Reports to: Director of Development
Summary: This role is crucial to spreading the word about Senior Community Services through social networks, media campaigns, websites, blogs, etc. Senior Community Services is seeking a Communications Intern to support our efforts to increase the impact and visibility of our programs. There are opportunities to develop skills in professionalism, writing skills, community relations, and branding. We are looking for a creative individual who is committed to our mission. The Communications Intern works closely with the Director of Development.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct interviews with clients, volunteers and donors in order to write compelling and powerful stories
- Work with Director of Development to coordinate photo shoots of clients, volunteers and donors to go along with written content
- Write content for newsletters, social media posts, blogs, etc.
- Research social media trends, top stories, etc.
- Assist with implementation of social media plan by developing content
- Help maintain digital files of photos, videos, and text content
- Research media contact and update media database
- Research new media opportunities (web portals, calendar listing, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Working toward a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- Must have reliable form of transportation
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to prioritize and be flexible when necessary
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Maintain confidentiality of Senior Community Services clients
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituents in a diverse community
- Calm and compassionate in working with the elderly
- Passion for the mission of Senior Community Services
This position is unpaid. Interns are accepted on an on-going, as needed basis. Minimum of 3 month commitment; 10-15 hours/week; Days and times are flexible; start/end date flexible. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in a professional work environment, learn the operations of a nonprofit and build a portfolio of written material. Our staff enjoys a high quality, team-based work environment. Our office is located in Minnetonka, MN.
Visit www.seniorcommunity.org to learn about our organization
To apply, send resume and cover letter to:
Allison Bendickson, Director of Development
Senior Community Services
10201 Wayzata Blvd., Suite 335
Minnetonka, MN 55305